20 March 2011

It's only been a week!?!?!?

So as I sat down to write this, I was looking at my last post. One week ago I wrote about Chad and Calla in the snow. Today it was 72 degrees here and we played outside all afternoon! Also we look at all that has happened in only one week.
Sunday night was a long one with Drake. He was up quite a bit and seemed to be coming down with a cold. Monday morning he had a 100.6 temperature and so we decided we would split the day and keep him home. Since we had had RSV about a month ago we also decided we should call and get him in for an appointment. Chad sent me a text at 8:35 that said Drake had been crying for close to an hour and to get the first appointment available. I called in and had to wait for the nurse to call me back. She called me at 9:10 and we set an appointment for 9:30. By this time Drake had calmed down and went to sleep, but his breathing was really troubled. At the Dr.'s office they got right in and immediately were concerned with his breathing. They drew blood to check his white blood cell count, took a nose swab to check for RSV and Influenza, then did a chest x-ray to check for pneumonia. After all of this and an hour and a half later they decided it was a lung infection and he needed to go straight to the hospital. Chad was with him all this time and had sent me a few text updates. He called to tell me they were hospital bound and that I should finish class and then come. Well...I had 35 minutes of class left but I sure didn't stay. I told my para what was going on, talked to two fellow Christian friends at school asking for prayers, called my superintendent and made a beeline for the hospital. When I got there, Drake was having his oxygen monitor attached to his foot and laughing at the nurse. What a relief to walk in and see that!!
He had his vitals checked about every 1/2 hour and then about 3:00PM we started his breathing treatments with the respiratory therapist. We did them every 2 hours for the next 12 hours. His oxygen levels never got below 90 so he never had to be put on oxygen...Praise the Lord! Chad's parents willingly took Calla for the night and picked her up from daycare and spoiled her rotten and took her back Tuesday morning!
At 3:00 Tuesday afternoon we were told we could go and left the hospital about 10 minutes later...we were ready!
During the night, he screamed for over an hour. We just thought he was extra tired and because of the albuterol he could not sleep. At noon on Wednesday, he had a 103.2 temperature. We called and got him in to the Dr. at 1:30. While there, all of the same tests were repeated. It was finally decided he had pneumonia! Uggh! I thought we were going back to the hospital. Instead they gave him a shot and then a different antibiotic and continue the breathing treatments every 4 hours all at home.
He sound pretty good most of the time now, but when it is close to treatment time he gets kinda rattley!!
We have not given him cereal all week because we wanted to let him be for some parts of the day! We did give him sweet potatoes and bananas this weekend and he loved them both!

Hospital cage bed! He didn't use it because he slept with me in the normal bed.

The sweet nurse brought this to him Tuesday morning and he played for a while!

Calla in her "Patrick's day dress shirt!"

Chilling at home!

Sweet potatoes!


Becky D said...

Ohhh, what a week! I pray that Drake gets better soon, and I hope that spring means feeling better too!

The Preister's said...

oh, I feel so bad for you!! it is terrible to have sick kids, and horrible when they have to be in the hospital!! my heart breaks that you had to do that!!

hoping for a much-much better week this week and no more hospital visits, ever! <3